1. Increased productivity and commitment from employees. The flexibility working from home offers to employees who have to care for children or other relatives allows them to perform better at their job. They require less time off, and are generally better focused and more productive.
Many employers will discover their employees are accomplishing more and better quality work. Employers can establish goals and benchmarks that employees must meet and there are also ways that employees can be monitored online to ensure they are working during agreed upon hours. Good managers can come up with excellent plans to measure employee performance.
2. Reduction of office rental and real estate expenses. The company needn’t maintain the overhead costs of offices and in many instances actual real estate. AT&T for example saved approximately $550 million dollars simply by eliminating or consolidating office space alone with their telecommuting program.
3. Minimize parking requirements. In addition to office space savings, companies also can reduce parking requirements.
4. Reduced benefits expenses. For companies that choose to work with independent contractors even more expenses such as benefits and social security may be eliminated. In fact, employers are likely to find that the majority of their employees would choose telecommuting over pay raises.
5. Easier, more effective recruitment. There is a much larger pool of applicants for jobs that human resources has to choose from. Many well qualified applicants won’t apply for a job simply based on location and companies have no choice but to hire applicants that aren’t the right fit for the job.
6. Better employee retention success. When a good employee needs to relocate due to personal circumstances, the company is much more likely to be able to retain their service.
7. Eliminate relocation costs. When you find the perfect candidate for a job, it won’t be necessary to require they relocate and you eliminate offer relocation expenses.
8. Less time off. Sick leave is less, and sick employees don’t get co-workers sick. Parents needn’t take personal days off to care for sick children.
9. Working from home reduces stress. Happy employees are naturally more motivated!